Overview: The PAL (Portable Audio Laboratory) is a portable, weather-resistant, FM/AM radio with analog tuning. Power is supplied by the included Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery or the included AC adapter. The PAL is easy to use and provides very good sound. The rotary analog tuning knob offers the ability to fine tune radio stations. The PAL was designed and engineered by Henry Kloss, who is a legendary inventor and audio designer, as well as the co-founder of Acoustic Research, KLH, and Cambridge Soundworks.
Speakers: The speaker is a 2.5″ treated and magnetically shielded long-throw driver.
FM Tuner: The tuner in this portable features Automatic Frequency Control (AFC), which locks onto the center of the station for the best reception and lowest distortion. The result is better reception with increased clarity on closely-spaced local and far-away stations. To take full advantage of the FM tuner’s high sensitivity and selectivity, the PAL uses a precise analog tuning system with a geared-down 5:1 ratio analog tuning dial for accurate, easy selection of the maximum number of stations.
Tuning Indicator: The tuning indicator glows bright green when the best tuning has been achieved. Some receivable AM stations will not light the tuning indicator and should be tuned by ear for the clearest signal.
Auxiliary Input: You can connect a CD, MP3 player, or other audio device to the auxiliary input on this portable for an easy way to listen to a separate source unit. The jack accepts a 1/8″ male stereo mini plug.
Headphone Output: The headphone output allows you to connect a headset for private listening, record from the PAL, or use the PAL as a high-quality outboard tuner. Using this output will mute the main speakers. The jack accepts a 1/8″ male stereo mini plug.
Battery Powered: The PAL uses a sealed pack of 6 high-capacity Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) cells. Unlike Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries, NiMH batteries have no memory effect, provide a longer operating time, and do not use toxic metals. The following charging options are available:
- Fast charge mode: With the PAL turned off but plugged in, from full discharge, the battery will be completely charged in about 2 1/2 hours.
- Trickle charge mode: With the PAL turned on and plugged in, the battery will be completely charged within 24 hours.
12 volt DC Operation: There is a 12 volt jack on the back (12-15VDC, tip positive) allowing you to use the included AC power adapter, or a separate DC power supply (not included) to use the PAL in cars, campers, etc. Note that it requires 0.8AMP minimum for proper operation.
Controls & Connections
Front of Unit:
- Volume Control: a rotary volume knob
- On/Source Knob: can be set to Off (turns the unit off), FM, or AM
- Tuning Dial: a large, geared-down tuning dial, which changes the selected frequency when it is turned
Rear of Unit:
- AC/DC Input: 12VDC/500mA input used to connect the supplied AC cord or an optional DC power supply
- Aux In: a 1/8″ female stereo mini-jack that allows you to connect an optional external source such as a CD player
- Headphone Output: a 1/8″ female stereo mini-jack output. When a headphone is connected, the unit’s speaker will automatically turn off, and the volume will be controlled by the radio’s volume knob.